Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Beautiful Moment: Love


When I sat down to write this post about my Beautiful Moment of the week, it didn’t take me long to think about what the topic was going to be…


Last night my family all sat down to watch a movie. We knew my brother was moving to Oklahoma today, so we wanted to spend one more night of good quality time before he left. A quarter into the movie a big storm came in. Lightning was flashing every few seconds – I’ve never seen that much lightning before. About halfway into the movie, the TV shut off and the lights turned dark – our power went out.

As my parents got up to look around for candles, matches, and flashlights, I sat there not really knowing what to do. No TV, no internet, no power. So I went to the closet and pulled out a game (UNO) and set some candles on the floor to light up the board. At first my family was not interested. It was already late and my brother needed to get up early in the morning. After suggesting how much fun it would be, they all sat down around the game and we started playing. We all had an absolute blast. I don’t remember the last time we as a family sat down to play a game board. There was no yelling or fighting; we just enjoyed ourselves as a family. Our power was out long enough for us to get through a couple games and get ready for bed. I’m glad it didn’t come back sooner.

Today while having lunch my mom said a prayer. That was the moment my mom, my dad, and I lost it. The tears came and soon enough we were passing around napkins to wipe our eyes and blow our noses. He ended up leaving about 2:30 PM. I cried my eyes out. He started crying too. I told him I loved him and will miss him. As he was leaving, it was the moment that I realized how much I love my brother. We might fight and get on each other’s cases a lot, but he’s the best brother anyone could ask for. I’m so proud of him for taking a leap of faith and moving somewhere with no job and putting his future in God’s hands. I’m going to miss him so much.

My beautiful moment of the week: experiencing a great night together as a family and realizing how much my brother truly means to me. Him leaving brought our family together and has made us all realize the love we have for each other. Too many times I have taken him for granted. I love you brother!

3 comments:

KelseyC said...

This almost made me cry. When you detailed the moment you knew how much you loved your brother, it reminded me of the moment I knew how much I loved my sister. Isn't it amazing the love you can feel for someone? It amazes me. And isn't it amazing that a simple board game can be such a bonding experience? I'm glad you and your family shared that time together and bonded!

Amanda said...

They say you don't appreciate things until their gone, but at least your brother is only moving. I'm glad you got to spend time with him and realize how much he and your family does mean to you. When it comes down to it, sometimes family is the only thing we can count on. :)

http://myoutletfornow.com

naomichronicles said...

It is indeed a very beautiful moment. Thank you for sharing it. :)

~Naomi

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails