Sunday, August 15, 2010

This Saved Me

A couple of days ago I finished the book, So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore.  One of the last things she wrote about basically saved me from any mental breakdowns in the future. Before I go into what that exactly is, let's see if you can relate:

Like many people...

I fear being alone.
I fear rejection.
I fear feeling stupid.
I fear betrayl.
I fear being hurt.
I fear pain.
I fear instability.
I fear being financially unstable.
I fear failure.
I fear success.
I fear not being healthy (mainly coming down with some disease).
The list could really go on and on...

Why am I telling you all this?

Beth Moore made me realize something that I've known for a very long time, but have not fully participated in. That something is trusting God - with everything. I have no reason to be afraid of things that I can't control. Why? Well, let me show you how she broke it down in her book:

You: "Lord, I don't know if I can trust ____________ or not."
God: "But you can trust Me?"

I think its very clear in some of my posts that I'm a firm believer in God and that Jesus died for my sins. There is no reason for me to hide it or to feel ashamed. If it's something that someone would not like to read, then I'll be sad to see you go. I do trust in the Lord which in turn made me realize that if I trust God with everything in me, then why should I be afraid of things? He is in control. He will take care of me. I will not fear bad news.

So what saved me from future mental breakdowns you ask?

This Bible verse did:
[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. [Her heart is secure, [she] will have no fear; in the end [she] will look on triumph on [her] foes.     PSLAM 112: 7-8
Since coming across the verse, I have repeated it over and over again in my head when I start to feel nervous about something and suddenly, peace comes over me - I'm no longer afraid. Anxiety is something that I have dealt with since I can remember. Nothing has ever helped and maybe that is because I was looking to things other than God's Word. I feel so blessed.

I wish that I could share with you all that I have learned so far in my beginning of security (it's a lot!), but if there is one thing that I want to take from this book, it's that I can trust God with everything and that in Him, I want to be secure and can be secure. I'm already becoming more secure with myself and in God. I think that's pretty good for a months work.

3 comments:

Elizabeth -Mrs Team Smitty said...

Thank you for posting this .. what a great thing to think about and ponder .. I will definitely be looking into that book! :) Good luck on your journey!

Lauren said...

Thank you for posting this.

I am a christian, but I haven't been very religious in the past few years.
Two weeks ago I started reading Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George and while I was reading it something in me....changed?

I've been having some trouble trusting God at the moment and ever since reading that book I've been seeing Luke 12:24 all over the place. It was really nice to get online and see this after a wild weekend of more uncertainty. It was a blessing.

Look at the ravens. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Luke 12:24

naomichronicles said...

Thanks for posting this verse.. It's something that I've really been needing to hear lately. :)

~Naomi

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails